lundi 24 novembre 2008

2009 language teaching recession?

What is going to happen to us, language teachers, in the City? Everyday, there is another article about redundancies in another bank. A lot of freelance teachers in the City teach bankers, traders, CEOs, lawyers, government staff, etc. You get the idea. A minority of us also teach these people's children, wives and husbands.

But what happens when 1/6 of them become redundant, or/and the language training funding gets cut or disappears? I don't know. This is just a fear. But I have already been told once, a few months ago from a City boy's wife: "We are not sure whether my husband will still have a job in January, so we're not starting the lessons now".

So far, none of my students has been made redundant. This is not all about the possible decrease of my earnings, it is also the fact that I would be really affected if one of them lost her/his job. I care for all of them...well 99%.

So far, I have had more work since September than I had earlier in the year. This can not be bad. However, one of my teacher friends' timetable has decreased, and he can not be the only one. But it is getting better for me.

Mais let's see what happens in December, the year isn't over yet, and I'm sure there are a lot more surprises to come.

Aucun commentaire: